Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is another wonderful cake that I found along time ago in our local paper. It is great for large gatherings, pot lucks or picnics.
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, reserve 1/4 cup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
Coconut Cream Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a slotted spoon, set aside 1/4 cup pineapple for frosting.
- In mixing bowl, combine remaining pineapple and juice with flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda, vegetable oil and coconut flavoring.
- Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured 10-1/2 x 15-1/2 x 1 inch baking pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- To make frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, sour cream, vanilla and coconut flavoring until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar; beat until frosting is a spreadable consistency.
- Stir in coconut and reserved 1/4 cup pineapple.
- Use to frost cake.
I needed a recipe for a Coconut Cream Frosting for a Coconut cake, so I didn't make the cake. . . yet! The frosting is definitely a 5 star recipe. Easy, creamy, and very delicious. The frosting was thick and spread easily. Yum!
This is a 20 star recipe!!! I love this delicious cake. I used a 9x13 pan and baked about 40 min. I drained the pineapple well before adding to the frosting and did not have a problem. This is the best cake ever!!! Thank you for sharing.
I made this twice as cupcakes - first time as a trial run & the second as the cakes for our wedding vow renewal celebration. Cooked the cakes for approx 13 mins. They tasted wonderful, but I had a lot of problems with the frosting, which was very runny on both occasions. I measured carefully & added more icing sugar, even left out the sour cream as a test & added more cream cheese and butter, but believe the pineapple juice broke it down. Nobody complained, but they made for messy eating. Don't know the solution, but will most likely try these again, as the results tasted so good.