Recipe by evelyn/athens
Similar in texture to lemon bars, these have a shortbread cookie base and a delightful tropical fruit filling. From Bon Appetit magazine.
Top Review by realbirdlady
Simple et elegant, with bright tropical flavors and colors. I reduced the sugar by a third, and still had a plenty sweet finished dish. The pineapple has more texture than the other two fruits - it should probably be chopped smaller, and be sure not to use the woody core. I didn't ever get the volume of the filling down to 1 1/2 cups - the fruit itself was about 2. I made individual tarts, without the lattice top. The colors of the different fruit pieces added some visual interest, but it would have been good to finish with a little creme rosette. I think it would also be interesting to cook the fruit fillings separately, and make a half-and-half tart, with distinct flavors and colors.
- 2 cups chopped cored peeled fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped peeled pitted mango
- 1 cup chopped peeled seeded papaya
- 3⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature (2 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- For filling: Combine chopped pineapple, mango, papaya, brown sugar, orange juice, cinnamon stick, orange peel, lemon peel and ground cloves in heavy medium saucepan. Cook over low heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring frequently, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove cinnamon stick. Cool.
- For crust: Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, vanilla extract and salt in large bowl just until blended. On low speed, gradually add flour, beating just until dough begins to come together. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Gather dough into ball; divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten each piece into square. Wrap each in plastic; chill 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Roll out larger dough piece on lightly floured work surface to 10-inch square. Transfer dough to 9-inch square metal baking pan. Press dough onto bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan. Pour filling into crust. Roll out remaining dough piece on floured surface to 9-inch square. Cut into 1-inch-wide strips. Place 4 strips atop filling, spacing evenly. Place 5 more strips diagonally atop first 4 strips, forming lattice. Trim lattice edges.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 50 minutes. Cool completely. Cut into 9 squares. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store in single layer in airtight container at room temperature.).