Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The pineapple and mandarin orange sections make this cake tartly delicious. Very easy too.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature,plus
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple rings
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 3 T butter in a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Place pan in oven until butter is melted.
- Drain oranges and pineapple slices on paper towels.
- Arrange in bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ½ cup butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Spread batter over fruit.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of cake.
- Place a plate over cake and pan and invert.
- Remove pan.
This was a nice variation on pineapple upside down cake. It was easy to put together and didn't last long in our house. I followed the recipe and used rings but I prefer crushed pineapple so think I'll do it that way next time.