Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The pineapple and mandarin orange sections make this cake tartly delicious. Very easy too.
Make and share this Pineapple Orange Upside-Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature,plus
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin orange sections
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple rings
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place 3 T butter in a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Place pan in oven until butter is melted.
- Drain oranges and pineapple slices on paper towels.
- Arrange in bottom of pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- In medium bowl, beat remaining ½ cup butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in buttermilk.
- Spread batter over fruit.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of cake.
- Place a plate over cake and pan and invert.
- Remove pan.
This was a nice variation on pineapple upside down cake. It was easy to put together and didn't last long in our house. I followed the recipe and used rings but I prefer crushed pineapple so think I'll do it that way next time.