Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an old recipe from my mom's recipe box - I'm not sure where it originated. This is a nice dish for potlucks - everyone loves it!
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (6 ounce) package orange Jell-O
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (12 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Place pineapple (with juice) in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add jello, stirring until dissolved.
- Stir in buttermilk, coconut and pecans. Cool.
- Fold in whipped topping. Place in a 13x9 serving dish and chill until ready to serve.
Who would think buttermilk could turn into this? I served it as a dessert rather than a salad. We enjoyed the fruit and nuts combination. I am very glad I made this recipe!
This was delicious - like a trip to the tropics for your mouth ! I loved the orange, pineapple, coconut combination, and I did use the nuts cause I just love them - the buttermilk added just the right amount of creaminess! I served in individual dessert flutes with a dollop of whipped cream on top. This is a great summer-time dessert and I'm glad I found it. Thanks for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2012.
This is a great salad loof. My dh was over the moon. He loved it and kept raving about how great it was. The salad was sweet, tart and tangy, thick, smooth, velvety and silky. I enjoyed the combo of coconut and buttermilk in this dish. I did leave out the nuts as dh is allergic and I made this for him. Thank you so much for sharing this flavorful treat.