Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I started to make pineapple chicken the other day and ended up with something very different. This dish has a good orange sweet flavor with a hint of pineapple and fills the house with a nice orange smell while cooking. I used crushed pineapple, but I think the tidbits below would be better. Cooking time does not include the cooking of the rice
- 1 cup any white rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large seedless orange, peeled and cut up into ½ inch cubes
- 1 orange, zest of (if you would like more of a pineapple taste, skip this)
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple tidbits in juice
- 1⁄2 cup marcella wine or 1⁄2 cup other sweet white wine or 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Pre-Cook the rice, any method you like.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- In a 3 Qt Dutch oven or other oven safe pan with cover.
- Heat the olive oil add the garlic and ginger Sauté until garlic just starts to turn brown.
- Add Chicken and Sauté until partially cooked.
- Add Pineapple/w juice, Orange and zest, mix.
- Add cooked Rice and mix well again.
- Add wine and lime, mix.
- Cover and place in oven for 20 minute.
- If too much liquid take cover off, finished dish should be very moist with only a little liquid in bottom of pan.
I happily prepared this recipe on top of the stove, and neglected to realise that the rice was supposed to be cooked into the dish. So I had a lovely sweet-citrusy chicken dish served over buttery noodles (by the time I realised my mistake with the rice, I had decided to do noodles), and I must say, it was really good! i think it would go well over rice too, but I'm not sure about cooking the rice into the dish. With that reservation aside, I can say that this was a very nice vaguely asian dish, a little sweet with the pineapple, I might be tempted to add a little chilli sauce another time. Much enjoyed, thank you, made for PAC Fall 2011