Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
QUICK PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE Adapted from Betty Crocker
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices, drained, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, if desired
- maraschino cherry, if desired
- 1 1⁄2 cups original Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 9-inch round pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange pineapple slices in single layer over sugar mixture. Sprinkle with pecans. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In large bowl, beat remaining ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Store loosely covered.
- BANANA UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE:
- Omit pineapple, cherries and pecans. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts over brown sugar mixture in pan. Cut 2 bananas into slices; arrange on brown sugar mixture.
This turned out good. I did the banana option and substituted Trader Joe's multigrain baking mix for the Bixquick.