Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This Indonesian dish makes a fantastic pineapple side dish. Make a change and use apples instead!
- 1 pineapple or 2 lbs apples, peeled and in chunks
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom, capsules crushed
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground (optional if using apples)
- 1⁄2 chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (optional, I don't add this)
- Prepare all your ingredients.
- In a frying pan heat oil and fry onion, garlic and whole spices until onion are soft.
- Add now ground spices and stir for one more minute.
- Add pineapple (or apples) and stir until well coated.
- Add salt, coconut milk and sugar.
- Cook uncovered 5 minutes or until soft.
- Serve with white rice.
ditto what elmotoo said. she should have given it 5 stars. i guess the site wasn't working properly. ;)
I served it over basmati alongside some baked chicken. IT WAS SOOO GOOD!! the kids were thrilled!! I think a jalapeno would be a good addition. I used Aleppo for the chili powder. I used a shallot for the onion. I did use canned pineapple chunks which we all agree work just fine in a pinch but agree fresh is always best! It was just delicious. Thank you! Made for Aussie Swap 4/14.