Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A baked spiral-sliced ham garnished with pineapple slices has a very retro feel. It’s a recipe many of us are happy to revisit, especially around the holidays. Keeping the ham tightly wrapped in foil while it’s in the oven ensures the meat will be succulent and juicy. Use canned pineapple slices packed in juice—fresh pineapple will not be as juicy and may dry out too quickly during cooking.
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple slices, packed in juice
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 spiral-sliced bone-in half ham
- Drain pineapple, reserving 3/4 cup juice. Whisk juice, brown sugar, and mustards in bowl.
- Remove ham from packaging and discard plastic disk that covers bone.
- Line 13 by 9-inch baking dish with two 24-inch-long pieces of foil.
- Place ham cut side down in lined baking dish and brush liberally with glaze.
- Using toothpicks, attach pineapple rings all over top and sides of ham. (Do not press toothpicks all the way into ham.)
- Brush with more glaze and wrap tightly in foil.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Bake ham until center registers about 100 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 2 to 3 hours, depending on weight of ham (17 minutes per pound).
- Remove ham from oven and roll back foil to expose ham.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Brush ham liberally with more glaze and return to oven until glaze becomes golden brown and sticky, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, brush entire ham again with glaze, loosely cover with foil, and let rest for 30 to 40 minutes before carving, basting ham with juices once or twice.
An easy and tasty glaze. This ham tasted so good that a friend of mine who stopped eating pork a long time ago had to have some and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting.
I used an 8lb boneless fully cooked ham. Cooked in the oven for about 3-1/2 hours and followed the rest of the recipe. It turned out very flavorful and tender