Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was in the mood for pineapple and wanted to make some muffins and found few such combinations on this site. I did a quick search and found this on About.com, under the heading Southern U.S. Cuisine, from Diana Rattray. I really liked these, they are flavorful and not overly sweet. I thought they might need a little something and I added some allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg to the topping.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut up
- Grease 18 muffin cups, or line with paper liners.
- in a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pecans and oats. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and egg.
- Pour into well in flour mixture, stir to blend just until dry ingredients are moistened, but do not overmix.
- Gently fold in pineapple and coconut.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full.
- For topping:.
- mix together brown sugar, flour, coconut and oats. cut in butter with a pastry cutter till coarse crumbs have formed.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over pineapple muffin batter.
- Bake muffins at 400 for about 20 minutes, or till tops are lightly browned and firm.
- transfer pans to rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
- gently turn muffins out onto rack to cool completely.
Loved it!!!! I used fresh pineapple, it was soooo yummy!! Thanks!
These were very tasty muffins. I halved the recipe and made 8 (since there's only 2 of us) I think I should have kept the baking powder/soda at their full amounts though as these kinda flattened out on me. They were also a little wet toward the top ( i wanna say from the butter in the topping? I eyeballed it, maybe used to much. Though I don't think these even NEED a topping!) Might try baking them a few minutes longer next time as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Excellent!!! These offered me an experience. You will feel as though you are having dessert in Hawaii. You'll be tempted to eat more than just one as they are sooooo good!!!! Thanks!