This is one of my favorite versions of coleslaw. Inspired by Vietnamese Coleslaw, I added pineapple and substituted ponzu sauce for the fish sauce.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons rice wine vinegar or 3 teaspoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- black pepper
- 1 small green cabbage, shredded
- 8 stalks fresh mint, stalks removed and leaves chopped coarsely (reserve a few leaves for garnish)
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drain juice for other use, slice chunks into smaller chunks (or use pineapple tidbits)
- Whisk together first 7 ingredients in a small bowl or 1-cup measuring glass, and set aside for half an hour.
- While dressing is melding, combine remaining ingredients in a large glass mixing bowl.
- When dressing is ready, pour dressing over salad ingredients and gently mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Garnish with reserved mint leaves and serve. Coleslaw may be refrigerated overnight (seal bowl with plastic wrap).