Recipe by Lorrie in Montreal
This has been in my family recipe repetoire for many many years...its my go-to recipe when I want to make Thehusband happy. (Ground chicken or turkey can be subbed for ground beef) We like this served over rice. You can also make the meatballs smaller and serve them as an appetizer.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup oats
- 1 cup green pepper, in strips
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix ground beef with milk,onions,salt and oats.
- Shape into 1" meatballs and brown in skillet.
- Its not necessary to cook through as they cook in the oven later.
- Place meatballs in an oven proof casserole dish.
- Drain juice from pineapple and add water to make 1 cup total.
- In a saucepan mix flour flour and brown sugar until blended.
- Add juice,vinegar, chili garlic sauce and soy sauce over medium heat whisking until mixture comes to a soft boil,allow to soft boil for 1 minute then pour over meatballs.
- Add reserved pineapple and peppers and bake for 30 minutes.