Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I adapted this recipe to use orzo pasta. You may use rice but if you do, use more cream. This can be made ahead, chilled.
- 3 cups orzo pasta
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 (6 ounce) cans mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 dashes nutmeg (optional) or 2 dashes cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 quarts water in pot, when boiled add pasta. Cook until done but firm.
- About 10 - 12 minutes. Stir while cooking.
- Drain in a colandar.
- Cool, then put in large bowl.
- In medium chilled metal mixing bowl, add whipping cream. Beat until soft peaks form, then slowly add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.Add optional nutmeg or cinnamon. Gently stir in vanilla.
- Fold the cream into the pasta, then add the pineapple and mandarin orange slices.
- Note: Save 4 mandarin orange slices for garnish on the top with mint leaves if available.
- Cover and chill before serving.
- You may serve individually in parfait glasses if you wish.
- Note: You may use Chinese 5 spice powder as a dash for a garnish on top. This is optional for taste, color.