Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I was looking for pina colada bars without rum, and couldn't find exactly what I wanted: a bar cookie that had 3 layers: cookie, pineapple, and coconut. So I found two recipes and combined them to make what I wanted. (They are Cherry Pineapple Bars and Cherry Macaroon Bars.) I omitted the cherries (marashino - yuck!), and already reduced the sugar to half, since most recipes have too much sugar. It was just right. You may want to adjust to your taste.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (not reduced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 10 ounces sweetened flaked coconut (I grated mine fresh, so it wasn't sweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together flour, brown sugar and salt; then cut in the butter - either with two knives or a pastry cutter. (Don't let the butter get too warm.).
- Once the flour/butter mixture gets crumbly, pour it into a 9" x 13" pan and press it inches.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove pan from oven and let it cool some.
- In the mean time, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a pot.
- Add pineapple and egg yolks and stir.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture gets thick and boils slightly.
- Remove from heat and spread on top of the baked crust.
- If you're a multi-tasker, you may be able to work on the coconut mixture in between stirs of the pineapple sauce. Otherwise, do it after.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt.
- Add the egg whites, egg and vanilla extract. (You could substitute almond extract).
- Drop dallops of the coconut mixture and spread evenly over the pineapple mixture.
- Return pan to the oven and bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes, or until lightly browned on top of coconut.
- Cool in pan, then cut into bars. (I couldn't wait, and ended up burning my mouth on the pineapple mixture.).
- Store in a covered container.