Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake has a light lemon flavor. It is lower in fat and sugar than a traditional upside down cake.
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 1 (1/3 ounce) package sugar-free lemon gelatin (4 serving size)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Line a round cake pan with waxed paper and then spray with a non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the crushed pineapple evenly in pan; sprinkle with the dry gelatin.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- With electric mixer, beat egg and egg whites in small bowl for about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon color.
- Transfer egg mixture to medium bowl and gradually beat in sugar.
- Add enough water to pineapple juice to measure 1/3 cup.
- Beat the pineapple juice and vanilla into egg mixture using low speed of electric mixer.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Immediately loosen cake from edge of pan and invert cake onto serving plate.
- Carefully remove the waxed paper.
- Serve warm.
This turned out great! I followed the recipe other than using half splenda. I will be making this a lot! Thanks!
Well...I made this a little differently...In a cast iron skillet with crushed pineapple chunks, sugar-free lime jello (couldn't find lemon), part whole-wheat flour and part Splenda. The cake has a very nice texture and is only lightly sweet. I wasn't impressed with the artificial taste of the jello and it didn't add any texture. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
Oh my, this is so so easy and good--it's going to become a regular go-to dessert for me. I love pineapple and love lemon so how could it miss? I must admit I made it in a square pan and guess what--tasted just as good!