1/1 Photo of Pineapple Lemon Jam (With Pomona's Universal Pectin)
Delicious mixed with plain yogurt; poured on a block of cream cheese as an appetizer; on buttered toast and english muffins. Oranges can be used instead of lemons and that's delicious too. But don't use fresh pineapple because the enzymes in fresh pineapple may prevent a good jel. Refrigerate OPENED jars and then use within 4-weeks. Unlike regular pectin, Pomona's gel is produced through very low sugar. Adding too much sugar will prevent proper gelling. But additional sugar CAN be added after the pectin has dissolved (see Step 14 below).
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare Pectin:.
- 2Mix 3 teaspoons pectin (large envelope) with 3-cups sugar. Set aside.
- 3Mix 1/2 teaspoons of the calcuim (sm. envelope) with 1/2 cup water. Set aside.
- 4Scrub then peel the lemons.
- 5Put the peels in a small sauce pan. Cover with water and simmer for 20-minutes or until the peel can be pierced with a fork. Drain, rinse, cool and chop the peel.
- 6Remove the excess white pith from the peeled lemons.
- 7Cut the peeled lemons in quarters. Slice out the white center membrane and discard.
- 8Puree the peeled lemons in a food processor.
- 9Into a heavy saucepan, measure 1 teaspoons butter, 2-cups lemon puree, 1-cup chopped peel, 2-cups undrained, crushed pineapple, and 1-cup of wine (for a total of 6-cups).
- 10If you are short of the 6-cups, just add more wine, pineapple or lemon.
- 11To the fruit in the pan, add 3 teaspoons prepared calcium water. (The rest of the calcium water can be saved in a little jar for up to two months in the fridge).
- 12Bring to a hard boil and boil for one minute.
- 13Add the sugar/pectin mixture and stir vigorously for 2-minutes allowing pectin to dissolve.
- 14NOTE: At this point you can add an additional one-cup sugar to give the jam a longer "opened jar" refrigerator shelf life.
- 15Bring back to a boil and boil hard for one minute. Skim foam if necessary.
- 16Ladle into seven, sterilized half-pint jelly jars, and process only 5-mins.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Lemon Jam (With Pomona's Universal Pectin)
Serving Size: 1 (1652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.0
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.4 mg
- Sodium 12.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 91.2 g
- Protein 1.2 g