Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this cake for my pineapple-loving DH's birthday a couple of years ago and it was a hit. It reminded me of the cakes my Granny and Aunt Joyce used to make when I was growing up - which means it was good!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- Add egg yolks and egg,one at a time, beating well after each.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in.round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Add pineapple to pan.
- Add water to juice to measure 3/4 cup; pour into pan and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add butter and lemon juice.
- Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan or double boiler, combine sugar,egg whites, water and cream of tartar.
- With a portable mixer, beat mixture on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160, about 8-10 minutes.
- Pour into a mixing bowl; add vanilla. beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes; set frosting aside.
- Set aside a third of the filling.
- Spread remaining filling between cake layers.
- Spread reserved filling in a 4-in. circle in the center of top layer.
- Frost the sides of cake and around the filling on top.
- Yield: 12 servings.
this is the exact recipe from Taste of Home, very moist cake with lots of flavor