Recipe by Brian Holley
This is a Thia style curry dish. Unusual in that it uses some cabbage. Goes well with all curries.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- oil (for frying)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup pineapple chunk
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the meat balls, mix together the meat with onion, garlic, ground ginger, green pepper, cabbage, clove, and curry powder, and salt.
- Form the mixture into balls the size of walnuts.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the meat balls till they are brown. Drain them and set aside.
- Heat the ghee in a separate pan and fry the onion and garlic till brown. Add all of the spices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, potato and pineapple and cook for 5 mins.Add the coconut milk and salt to taste.
- Add the meat balls to the pan and simmer gently for 15 mins, shake the pan to prevent sticking do not stir as could break up the meat balls.