Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Lovely tropical jam
- Slice the tops off the pineapples then cut off the peel in strips, cutting deep enough to remove the'eyes'.
- Cut the pineapples into thick slices, cut out and throw away the hard core and dice the remaining flesh.
- Weigh the fruit.
- Add the same weight in sugar.
- Put fruit into a saucepan.
- Warm the sugar.
- Allow 1 lime for each 450g fruit.
- Peel the zest and finely slice.
- Halve and squeeze the limes, keeping the pips and juice.
- Roughly chop the lime halves.
- Put them with the pips on a square of muslin and tie up tightly into a bag with a long piece of string.
- Put the lime zest and juice into the pan with the pineapple and tie the muslin bag string to the pan handle.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally for about 90 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Test for set.
- Discard the bag, squeezing it first to extract all the juice.
- Lightly skim off any scum using a long handled metal spoon.
- Immediately pour the jam into warmed sterilized jars to within 3 mm of the top.
- Seal the jars and label.