Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Here is a popular dessert in my family. It comes from Naparima Girls' High School cook book. The original calls for almonds which I found to be rather bland. I loved it with brazil nuts. I have also substituted walnuts as it's not everyday I come by brazil nuts. Use which ever are your favourite. The next time I make this I plan to use caramelized pecans.
- 170.09 g butter
- 354.88 ml icing sugar
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml pineapple slices (diced)
- 236.59 ml brazil nut (chopped)
- 1 sponge cake, already baked (I use a store bought, lemon sponge, box cake. I think the lemon gives a better flavour than a plain)
- 473.18 ml whipped cream
- Cut the cake into one inch thick slices.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition and scraping the sides.
- Add vanilla, pineapple and brazil nuts.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but moist and fold into mixture gently.
- Place a layer of cake in a dish, then a layer of pineapple-butter mixture; continue to layer until all the cake and mixture are used up, ending with the pineapple mixture.
- Cover with foil and freeze for 24 hours.
- When ready to use take out and thaw for a 10 minutes. Garnish with whipped cream, a maraschino cherry and sprig of mint,or candied orange pieces -- whatever suits you.
- Variation: drained peaches or ripe mangoes could be substituted for the pineapple. I have only ever made it with pineapple.
This one is so simple even a kid could make it. We enjoyed it very much and we will have it again!
yummy hot weather dessert! I used fresh pineapple and used walnuts in place of Brazil nuts, thanks for sharing de Roche!...Kitten:)
I liked this cake a lot. It's not too sweet. And it's easy because there's no baking if you use a store-bought angel food cake. I made pineapple. My next one will be mango. I sliced and served as many portions as was needed from the frozen cake and returned the rest of the cake to the freezer. It's there for future desserts; I'll always have a delicious cake ready!