Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups small diced pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup small diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced habanero
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions. Season with salt, and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the pineapple, red bell pepper and habanero. Continue to saute until the pineapple is soft, about 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vinegar and the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water, and whisk until smooth. Stir the slurry into the pineapple mixture and return mixture to a boil. Continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- For a smoother consistency, pour the chutney into a blender or food processor and pulse until consistency desired.