1/3 Photos of Pineapple-Glazed Shrimp Skewers
1 hr 10 mins
From chow.com; posted for ZWT 5. "With a flavor that’s somewhere between Asian and Caribbean, these skewers are hard to label but easy to make and tasty enough that they’ll be a hit with the whole family. **NOTE: If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in warm water for 30 minutes beforehand, so they don’t burn on the grill. **Note: There’s just a touch of heat in the glaze from cayenne pepper. If you’re up for it, you can get the party started by adding a little extra." -- This could also be made with chicken, or for something special, use sugarcane skewers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups pineapple, large dice (from 1 large pineapple, about 5 pounds)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 36 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 (10 inch) wooden skewers (or metal)
- 1Combine 2 cups of the pineapple, the sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic in a blender and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- 2Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 3Skim off any foam and reduce heat to low.
- 4Simmer until glaze is thick and syrupy enough to coat the back of a spoon and has reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 30 minutes.
- 5Stir in cayenne and set aside to cool slightly, at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a gas or charcoal grill to high (about 400°F) or a grill pan over high heat until very hot.
- 6Skewer 1 shrimp, making sure to pass the skewer through the thick portion and the tail portion, then skewer 1 piece of the remaining pineapple. Repeat, alternating between the two and leaving a space in between, until you have 3 shrimp and 2 pineapple pieces per skewer. Brush skewers on one side with glaze.
- 7Rub the grill with a towel dipped in vegetable oil, place the skewers on the grill glaze side down, and brush the other side of the skewers with more glaze.
- 8Continue brushing and turning every few minutes until the thick portions of the shrimp are white and firm, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 9Remove from the grill and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple-Glazed Shrimp Skewers
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 597.4
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 383.0 mg
- Sodium 1391.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 44.7 g
- Protein 54.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar