Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This makes a quick meal you can have this on your table in about half an hour if you cook the rice while the sauce is simmering and your meatballs are already prepared! Use your own favorite meatball recipe or see Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs this is also great with cooked chicken breast.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (use your favorite meatball recipe and shape into about 1 to 1-1/2-inch balls)
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple (drained but reserve the juice in a measuring cup)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 6 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups brown sugar, packed (or to taste)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch (measured 6 tbsps exactly)
- 1 -2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the shaped meatballs onto a greased baking sheet and cook for about 15 minutes; set aside.
- For the sauce; to the reserved pineapple juice in the measuring cup add in enough water to measure 2 cups.
- In a large saucepan combine the pineapple juice mixture with 2/3 cup water, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and brown sugar (start with 1-1/2 cups brown sugar and add in more later if needed) cornstarch, ginger powder, garlic powder and seasoned salt; bring to a boil over medium heat whisking vigorously so that the cornstarch does not become lumpy; cook until thickened and smooth.
- At this point you may adjust the brown sugar, garlic powder, seasoned salt and ginger to suit taste.
- Stir in the crushed pineapple, carrot, bell pepper and meatballs; gently stir until coated with the sauce then simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes over lo heat or until the meatballs are thoroughly cooked through.
- Serve with or over cooked rice.