Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I have had this recipe for years.I have changed the type of apples and made one crust and topped with cool whip instead of whipped cream. Arrange the apples in a circle, it shows through the glaze and place the cool whip in the center.
- 7 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, wedges or 7 cups tart apples
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pie crust, baked, cooled
- whipped cream or Cool Whip
- In large pot add 1 1/4 cup pineapple juice and sugar. Bring to a low boil, add apples.
- Simmer about 4 minutes, apples should be tender but not soft.
- With slotted spoon take out apples and drain in colandar, have a dish underneath to catch liquid.
- In small bowl, add 1/4 cup pineapple juice and cornstarch. Stir to dissolve.
- Add to hot pineapple mixture, stirring until thickened. Turn the heat down when thickening. Should be clear and not milky.
- Take off the heat. Stir in margarine vanilla and salt. Cool about 30 minutes, do not stir. Take any juice drippings from apples and stir into mixture.
- Pour half of the mixture in the pie shell covering bottom.
- Arrange apples in the circle around the shell. Spoon other half over the applies, smooth with the back of a spoon. Chill.Before serving top with whipped cream or cool whip in the center.
- Optional Serving: Place 8 slices of Kiwi fruit on top of pie for 8 servings.