Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from my friend Julie, and her version does not have the mixed spice in it, but I love it with the spice in. Not a traditional fruitcake, but a lovely light fruity cake.
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 4 ounces butter
- 12 ounces raisins
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- Put in pan crushed pineapple and juice, butter, raisins, sugar, spice, bicarbonate soda and pinch of salt.
- Boil for 10 minutes, watch that it does not boil over with the bicarbonate of soda in it!
- Cool and then add the beaten eggs and flours.
- Put into an 8x8-inch tin that has been lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 1 hour.
Will admit that 'fruitcake' is what grabbed my attention, but even though this isn't a regular kind of fruitcake recipe, it did give us A GREAT TASTING CAKE! I did include the raisins 'cause I'm a big fan of theirs, but I'd like to make this, at least one more time, & substitute dried cranberries, just to see how they would be (just as good, I'm sure)! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]