Recipe by Jostlori
I've not tried this recipe yet, but it sounds interesting! It's supposed to be a traditional Swedish dessert, gleaned from "Favorite Swedish Recipes", a recipe booklet I acquired somewhere... Prep time doesn't include REFRIGERATION time of 3 hours. Make sure to use canned pineapple, as fresh will prevent gelatin from setting.
- 15 ounces pineapple chunks, canned (reserve the juice)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin, soaked in 2 1/2 tbsp. cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- pineapple slice, for garnish
- maraschino cherry, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until fluffy.
- Dissolve gelatin over hot water. Add the lemon juice, the reserved pineapple juice, and dissolved gelatin to egg mixture. Stir until thick.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites, whipped cream and pineapple cubes into the gelatin/egg mixture.
- Pour into a mold that's been rinsed in cold water. Refrigerate for 3 hours until set.
- When ready to serve, unmold and garnish with pineapple slices and cherries. Serve with "fancy cookies", per the original recipe!