Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
My family always begs for this cake when we're having a family dinner , which is often.!!!
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup Crisco cooking oil
- 1 cup water or 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 container Cool Whip
- Make cake according to package directions in 3 9" cake pans (or one 13x9 pan) that have been greased and floured.
- Cool cake completely.
- To make frosting mix pudding mix and crushed pineapple with juice. Then fold in the thawed Cool Whip.
- Frost cake (you may have to secure layers with tooth pick).
- Must chill cake at least 4 hours before serving, overnight is best.
My kids and I love pineapple. I made my cake using the pineapple juice instead of water. I then poked holes in cake and poured a little pineapple juice on the cake. It makes the cake just melt in your mouth! I think everyone that has a love for pineapple should try this at least once. Oh I made the icing as directed with a little extra pineapple. Splendid!!!!!
Our family has been making the exact same cake (same ingredients) but slightly different to accommodate some picky eaters in our family...by that i mean controlling the amount of pineapple we put on cake...we bake cake as directed & let cool. Then we poke holes in cake with fork and pour some or all of pineapple juice over cake, then we add the amount of crushed pineapple we desire (sometimes half can sometimes all)....then we layer the pudding on top (sometimes we use banana instant pudding, tastes great too) and we finish it off by topping it with cool whip! It's yum-oh! lol :)
this recipe brings back memories. I made this so many times, (years ago) that I can't even count them all. It was a family favorite, and especially loved by my 4 kids. Great, great cake.