Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is one of our favourite made ahead refrigerator dessert from long ago.
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 19 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- maraschino cherry
- Combine melted butter and crushed wafers.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp for topping.
- Spread remainder in a 9x9-inch pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 8 minutes.
- Beat softened butter, icing sugar, and eggs.
- Spread on crumb layer.
- Spread pineapple over top.
- Cover with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Decorate with maraschino cherries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be made the day ahead or can be frozen.
- Tip: Use egg beater instead of real eggs.
- Try using chopped peaches to replace pineapple.
This came out nicely.. it was liked and guests had no troubles to finish it. But... several were a little apprehensive about the raw eggs in the filling (no egg beaters here in NL) and I would sieve the egg whites next time, just to get out the slighly thicker part of the egg white. For the rest, it was a success and a excellent end to a long leisurely lunch with guests. I forgot to reserve some of the wafers for the top so decorated with a little coco powder instead. I'd like to try this again with peaches ! Thanks!