Recipe by Sage
This is one of our favourite made ahead refrigerator dessert from long ago.
Top Review by kiwidutch
This came out nicely.. it was liked and guests had no troubles to finish it. But... several were a little apprehensive about the raw eggs in the filling (no egg beaters here in NL) and I would sieve the egg whites next time, just to get out the slighly thicker part of the egg white. For the rest, it was a success and a excellent end to a long leisurely lunch with guests. I forgot to reserve some of the wafers for the top so decorated with a little coco powder instead. I'd like to try this again with peaches ! Thanks!
- 2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 19 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- maraschino cherry
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine melted butter and crushed wafers.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp for topping.
- Spread remainder in a 9x9-inch pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 8 minutes.
- Beat softened butter, icing sugar, and eggs.
- Spread on crumb layer.
- Spread pineapple over top.
- Cover with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Decorate with maraschino cherries.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be made the day ahead or can be frozen.
- Tip: Use egg beater instead of real eggs.
- Try using chopped peaches to replace pineapple.