Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nice side for Asian dishes. Created this to go with Asian Pork Tenderloin, which you can find on this site.
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 4 ounces evaporated milk
- 8 ounces pineapple chunks
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch curry powder
- Heat sauce pan over medium high heat and add oil.
- Saute 1 cup rice in oil until slightly toasted.
- Drain pineapple juice into measuring cup, add evaporated milk and water to equal 2 cups total liquid. Crumble bullion cube into liquid.
- Add 1/2 can pineapple chunks (reserve rest for other use)to rice.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt and pinch curry powder to rice.
- If using, add mushrooms.
- Pour liquid over rice and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minute.
- Fluff and serve.
I substituted coconut milk for evaporated milk. I am a novice at cooking with curry so even though I increase recipe by 3 I did not the curry. Rice was a little bland because of this. I left out the mushrooms and served it with a cranberry/apricot pork tenderloin. Family ate all of it. Would make again but increase curry and possibly salt. Thanks