Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The literal translation of Subparod Geuw is pineapple crystal, ad refers to the process of cooking fresh fruit in a heavy sugar syrup, or namm tann geuw (sugar-like crystal). The traditional way of serving this dessert is to add ice chips (roy geuw) or "floating crystal" to the pineapple and syrup. There are two ways to serve this, both of which are described in the directions. From Cracking the Coconut, a Thai cookbook by Su-Mei Yu. PREP TIME DOES NOT INCLUDE REFRIGERATION TIME
- 1 small pineapple, peeled
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water (or 1 tsp orange extract) or 2 tablespoons rose water (or 1 tsp orange extract)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut cream, for topping
- crushed ice (optional)
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream (optional)
- mint sprig, for garnish
- Slice the pineapple across into 8-10 rounds, about 1/2 inch thick. Remove the hard inner core with an apple or pineapple corer.
- In a 12 inch skillet, combine the sugar, water and orange water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the pineapple slices (ok to layer them in needed) and return to a boil. Cook, turning the pineapple slices carefully to ensure they cook evenly, for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the 1 cup coconut cream to the skillet, stirring gently with a wooden spoon , careful not to tear the slices. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the pineapple slices to a bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Set aside to cool to room temp, then cover and refrigerate to chill before serving.
- To Serve #1: Place 1-2 pineapple slices in individual dessert bowls. Add two tablespoons of crushed ice to each bowl. Spoon the sauce over the slices and top each with one tablespoon of the remaining coconut cream. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve immediately before the ice melts.
- To Serve #2: Place 1-2 pineapple slices in the center of a dessert plate. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle the sauce over the ice cream. Spoon a tablespoon of the remaining coconut cream over each and garnish with a sprig of mint. Serve immediately.