Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Traditional Christmas morning breakfast. I'm posting this here for safekeeping!
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups full-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 7 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 (398 ml) cans crushed pineapple, DRAINED
- 2 cups cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Soften yeast in warm water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large heavy duty mixer (or large bowl, if by hand) pour scaled milk over butter. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in 4 cups of flour, sugar, mashed potatoes, salt and dissolved yeast. Mix at low speed. Add remaining flour as needed to make a soft dough, the dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and as you mix, will be somewhat reluctant to lie back down in the bowl. The dough will be definitely sticky when you are finished mixing. Leave in mixer bowl, covered with plastic wrap overnight or about 8 hours.
- The next morning, punch dough, turn dough out onto floured board and cut dough in half. Roll each half into a rectangle.
- Drain the pineapple. The more you can drain it - the better consistency for the filling.
- In a mixer whip the softened cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, blend in nutmeg and vanilla. Stir in well-drained pineapple. Do not over mix.
- Divide in half and spread over each rectangle.
- Roll up and slice into 1 1/2 inch slices and place on parchment paper covered cookie sheets. Let rise until double (about 30 minutes) Preheat oven to 375°F Bake for 15 minutes. Turn down to 350°F and bake for 10-15 more minutes. If edges are getting too dark cover with tinfoil.
- If desired, decorate with frosting of your choice and place red & green cherries in the centre of each bun.
- My family places the uncooked buns onto parchment paper in the shape of a Christmas tree (1 bun at top, next layer 2 buns, repeat until the last layer is 4 buns across and then place 2 buns down for the tree stump).
- Very delicious, very easy and if baked and frosted as a Christmas tree, very festive!