Recipe by Sassy in da South
This is actually a dessert and not actually cornbread. Recipe came from the back of a corn meal mix package. Quick to make and quite tasty too.
Top Review by sprue
super delicious! i actually just made my regular cornbread recipe and put crushed pineapple and brown sugar and walnuts (i didnt have any pecans) and i sprinkled the brown sugar on top with some cinnamon.. it was soo tasty i ate almost the whole pan myself! who would have thought pineapple in cornbread could be this amazing! thanks for changing my cornbread forever!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup, undrained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon brown sugar over butter.
- In large bowl, combine corn meal mix, 1 cup brown sugar, pineapple, egg and pecans; stir to blend.
- Pour batter over brown sugar and butter.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar over batter.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm by spooning into dessert dishes or let cool and cut into wedges.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.