Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light.
- cooking spray
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon juice.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine granulated sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in pineapple and pecans. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Carefully peel off wax paper. Combine powdered sugar and reserved 1 tablespoon juice, stirring with a whisk; drizzle over cake.
This cake was fabulous. I've made it twice this week with rave reviews. I did make a few additions that I think really added to the cake (and fat content). I toasted about half a cup of coconut with the pecans. I did the milk-and-lemon-juice trick instead of buttermilk, since I never have it around (1/2 Tbls lemon juice + 1/2 cup lowfat milk). Instead of making a glaze for the top, I made a crumb topping with 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1/2 cup oats. Thanks for posting, this will be in the regular rotation of "desserts I bring to people's houses."
This coffee cake is simple, moist and flavorful. Can't ask for much more than that! Thanks for sharing.