Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Nonfat plain yogurt replaces sour cream adding moisture, and tenderness to this lighened up coffee cake.. Cooking time does not include cooling time..
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced pineapple chunks (blotted dry and coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and coat an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk both flours, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk egg, yogurt, oil, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add ingredients from step 2 and stir with spatula until blended (Do Not Overmix).
- Fold in pineapple, and scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Combine pecans and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl, and sprinkle over batter.
- Bake cake until the top is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean(50-55 minutes.).
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
We loved it! I used pineapple tidbits and chopped them. Love, Love the sugared pecans and crispy top! Went great with salty bacon! Definitely a keeper! I might add a couple of tablespoons of the pineapple juice to the batter next time but there will be a next time!!
Made this for my other half to take to one of the weekly meetings we attend, but then liked it so much myself that I kept it right here at home for us to enjoy (made brownies to share at the meeting, instead)! Really, really liked the taste & texture of this coffee cake, especially when still warm from the oven! Also good with a bit of homemade sherbet, too, by the way! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Everyday Is a Holiday tag]
Wonderful recipe. Not too sweet, just perfect for our taste. I used only all purpose flour. I used pineapple tidbits that I drained and I didn't chop them. I cooked it 55 minutes and it was perfect when I checked with a tooth-pick. The texture is great, crispy outside with the topping and light inside. Thanks weekend cooker :) Made for your win in Tic Tac Toe