Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sweet creamy rice dish is the perfect compliment to blackened chicken or pork
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup arborio rice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- In small sauce pot, combine poineapple juice, coconut milk, and chicken broth. Bring to simmer, and keep warm.
- Melt butter in larger stock pot.
- Add onion and cook on medium heat until translucent.
- Add rice and stir until butter is absorbed (about 3 minutes).
- Stirring constantly, add about 1/2c of the liquid to the rice.
- Stir until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another 1/2c addition of liquid, and stir until liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Continue adding liquid 1/2 cup at a time, until rice is tender.
- Not all arborio rice is the same. Liquid amounts may be more or less than the 3 cups. Risotto is done when the rice is soft and creamy, with a little bite in the center of each grain. This will take about 20 minutes to achieve.
- When rice is cooked, stir in parmesan cheese and pineapple.
- season with salt and pepper.
We love this recipe! It's labor-intensive, but worth the effort. We pair it with pan sautéed blackened tilapia and steamed green beans. The tilapia and green beans are easy and take 5-8 minuted so we cook them after the rice is done.