Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this simple recipe from a friend who was a natural cook. It makes two pies. The mix can also be used in a parfait style with fruit for another dessert. Has always been very popular with my guests.
- Mix all ingredients of Base together using just a little of the coconut cream to mix the cornflour with first.
- Cook on low heat till bubbling slowly and then till thickened.
- Spread cooked mix into 2 medium size pie dishes and refrigerate.
- Blend all pineapple from can and add juice last with a little mixed with all the cornflour.
- Cook slowly till thickened and cooked.
- Spread onto cooled bases covering whiteness.
- Decorate with lemon slices, pieces of pineapple, strawberry or kiwifruit.
Just not the light, fruity pie that I had expected, found it to be quite thick & heavy. Maybe I used too much corn flour? I will try again... there is definite potential here.
The end result of this pie was wonderful. I added a gluten-free almond/cornflake crust, that made it perfect.
I've made this several times now. I did add some agar powder to the coconut cream layer, boiling it for 5 minutes with the coconut cream and adding the cornflour (cornstarch) at the end. This firmed it up beautifully. I also added a cookie-crumb base, giving the pie 3 layers.