3 hrs 20 mins
Redneck Epicurean's Note:
This pie is a "cooked" filling like your granny used to make. It's fully of fat, sugar, calories and totally something that would make dear Mr. Adkins and his diet and the folks at Weight Watchers have a heart attack and drop dead. However, my dietitian and I have tried to make it low-sugar/low-carb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 crisp oatmeal cookies (You can find sugar-free ones or make your own.)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained (reserve juice)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (not cream!)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine, cut small
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut, chopped finer
- 1 cup light whipped topping or 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 inch pie plate with spray.
- 2Process the cookies in a food processor until fine crumbs. Add margarine and process until crumbs are moist. Press into the pie plate. Bake 12 minutes until toasted around the edges and cool on a wire rack.
- 3Mix Splenda and cornstarch in a 2-qt. saucepan. Add enough pineapple juice to the coconut milk to make 2 1/2 cups. Stir into the sugar mixture, then bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, but not briskly. Boil one minute. Remove from heat.
- 4Whisk yolks to mix; gradually whisk in about half the hot mixture; return to saucepan. Stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in margarine till melted. Stir in pineapple and coconut. Pour into crust. Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate 3 hours.
- 5Before serving: beat the cream and sugar to stiff peaks if using cream. Spread over pie and garnish with pineapple chunks, shredded coconut, or mint sprigs.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple - Coconut Cream Dream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.2
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 131.3 mg
- Sodium 319.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g