Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Sweetly tropical and delicious, this easily-made pie comes from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in the preparation time.
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups crushed pineapple, including juice (hot)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shells, baked
- Soak gelatin in cold water for five minutes; add sugar and salt and dissolve into hot pineapple.
- Cool slightly and add lemon juice.
- Continue to cool; when it begins to thicken, beat until light and foamy.
- Fold in whipped cream and pile into baked pie shell; continue chilling until firm.