Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
The two cans of pineapple will give you a large amount of pineapple chunks, if desired just use one can of chunks for the recipe. The sauce can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated, if you want a sweeter sauce add in about 1/4 cup more white sugar. The complete recipe can be doubled and baked in two 13 x 9-inch pans. Serve with cooked rice.
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice (use the juice from the pineapple chunks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules (or to taste)
- 4 -6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (can use more)
- 1 small onion, coarsley chopped (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained (reserve 2 cups juice)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- cooked white rice
- For the sauce; in a saucepan combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and thickened; set aside.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Brown on both sides then place in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the onions (if using) all around the chicken in the dish.
- Pour the prepared sauce on top and around the chicken.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add in the pineapple chunks and green pepper slices, return to oven for another 15 minutes longer.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.