Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family LOVES this chicken, so tangy and good! I like to serve it with rice and a vegetable stir-fry. It reminds me of a Chinese dish, it probably is one. Can’t remember where I got it from. I’ve actually never added the onion to the pineapple sauce; I could be missing out on some serious flavor :D ! I like to add a julienned carrot or two. Also, for the juice in the sauce, I’ve used sweetened and I use half water, half juice. Hope you like it!
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half, and-or thighs cut into 3/4 inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- cooking oil, for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 14 ounces pineapple tidbits (with juice)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice (or water)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- Batter: Stir flour, cornstarch and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat eggs and water with fork; add to flour mixture.
- Stir until consistency of medium-thick batter and only a few lumps remain.
- Add chicken and stir until coated.
- Remove, 1 piece at a time with fork or spoon, to hot (375°F, 190°C) cooking oil in deep fryer or wok.
- Stir with slotted spoon until chicken comes to surface to brown evenly.
- Deep-fry, in 3 or 4 batches, for about 5 minutes, turning until golden brown on all sides and chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Pineapple Sauce: Heat oil in medium saucepan or wok on medium.
- Add onion.
- Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add pineapple with juice, brown sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir pineapple juice into cornstarch in small cup.
- Add to pineapple mixture.
- Add green pepper.
- Heat and stir until boiling and thickened.
- Makes 3 cups sauce.
- Arrange chicken on platter.
- Pour pineapple sauce over top.
This is the BEST and EASIEST chinese chicken recipe ever! I made it for the first time and everyone in my house was impressed, it tastes even better then the local chinese spot's pineapple chicken.