Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I haven't tried this yet, but I am definitely going to keep this in mind when I want something sweet or fruity for dinner! :)
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cubed chicken
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients until smooth. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken, pineapple, water chestnuts, and ginger.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve over rice or whatever side dish you'd like!
I made this recipe tonight with a few modifications. I added about half a red onion sliced and a tablespoon of soy sauce, and I added a bit more orange juice while it cooked because the sauce seemed to be thickening up too quickly. I also added fresh black pepper just before serving. Like another reviewer, I was worried while cooking because I didn't think it smelled like it was going to taste good, but it was delicious served over some rice. I will make it with the onion & soy again next time. Nice simple dish.
So yummy! Sweet & tropical, and easy to throw together. I've made it twice now, and our family has loved it both times. I use a mildly spicy bbq sauce (Smokey Cornwall's No. 2 BBQ Sauce) and it was PERFECT. Thanks for posting this!
I really loved this recipe! It's a dish I'm adding to my collection and emailing to several family members and friends.