Recipe by momEgodess
This is a tangy sweet and sour chicken recipe that can be done in foil individually, or in a pan. You can cook it over the fire camping, or on the BBQ, or in the oven at 350 degrees. I like the sauce over rice...my kids like it with noodles. I found this on the about.com recipe site and have used it many times.
Top Review by MiSsBaKeSaLoT
Simple, easy, and quick meal with tasty results! Just what I need in my house! The only thing I think I will do next time with this is to marinade the chicken in pineapple juice first to allow the chicken to take on more of the flavor. Overall, great recipe!
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained and save juice for sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce first. You can make this ahead of time at home and bring it to the campground in a container in your cooler. First, chop the pepper and onion into big chunks. Then mix all ingredients (except the chicken) in a sauce pan and bring to a slow simmer stirring occasionally.
- Next tear off a piece of foil big enough to wrap each chicken breast.
- Spoon some sauce onto each piece of foil, place a chicken breast on top, and spoon more sauce over each breast. Salt and pepper to taste. Wrap foil tightly and cook for 30-40 minutes over campfire coals or on the grill. Turn occasionally.
- Alternate directions for oven at home: Use an 8X8 pan, or whatever size your chicken breasts will fit into. Spritz with your favorite oil spray. Put half of the sauce in the bottom of the pan. Lay the chicken in the pan. Spoon the sauce and veggies over the top of the chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the chicken is cooked.