Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe came from a magazine long forgotten. It's great for brunch or dinner and the recipe can be easily halved. Make ahead directions are at the end although I have never made it ahead so I can't vouch for how well it comes out.
- 12 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups fully cooked ham, cut into thin strips (lunch meat is fine)
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Stir together flour and salt and roll chicken pieces in this mixture to coat.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken half at a time in butter until brown, turning once.
- Transfer chicken to a 13x9 baking dish, reserving drippings in the skillet.
- Bake uncovered in a 350º oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Add sherry to drippings in skillet and cook and stir over medium heat, scraping up bits in the bottom of pan.
- Add pineapple tidbits, celery, and onions.
- Bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes or until celery starts to soften.
- Combine reserved pineapple juice and the 2 tbsps. flour and stir into sauce mixture in the skillet.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon off any juices from the chicken in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle ham strips over the chicken and pour sauce over all.
- Bake uncovered about 10 minutes more or until chicken is tender and fully cooked and no longer pink.
- To make ahead: Prepare chicken as directed except bake uncovered without the sauce for 35 minutes or until tender and no longer pink (fully cooked). Cool slightly, drain and cover. Chill up to 2 days.
- Prepare sauce as directed, except do not pour over chicken. Cool and transfer to storage container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To reheat, sprinkle ham over cold chicken and bake covered, in a 350º oven for about 40 minutes or until heated through. While chicken is cooking, reheat the sauce over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately.