Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have no idea of the origin of this recipe. I know that my sister and I are the fourth generation (at least) to make this recipe. I warn you: it is an acquired taste, but it goes great with anything. To me, when I think of northern central Louisiana cuisine/southern food, this is the "salad" I think of.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (the sharper, the better...but don't use white...it won't be the same)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (lite, low-fat, fat free, or full on fat is okay)
- 15 ounces pineapple rings, drained
- Assemble the salad as follows:.
- Place 2-3 (or more) lettuce leaves on a small salad plate.
- Top with pineapple rings (1-2 per person).
- Fill the "hole" in the pineapple ring with a 1/2 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with cheese to "hide" mayo.
I have been eating this since I was a kid, minus the lettuce. Also good made with canned pears. A favorite childhood recipe for me!