Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderfully soft moist quick bread from Paula Deen at Food TV.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pineapple extract
- Using a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and sugar and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the pineapple, eggs, oil, and add to the flour mixture, mix well.
- Fold in the cheese, nuts, and pineapple extract.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9 by 3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- At 350 degrees.
I was given a Lady & Sons cookbook for Christmas and this was the first recipe I tried. The only difference is that my version used walnuts instead of pecans. Pineapple and cheese seemed like an odd combination to me, but it works.
This was some seriously good stuff! I made 4 loaves for our church bake sale and had 6 requests for the recipe and 10 requests for MORE bread. It is dense and good!
This bread is a great change of pace from other quickbreads. The flavors all go very well together. The pineapple adds a nice moistness, but it's not overly "pineappley." I did use the optional chopped pecans. Thanx for this interesting recipe. I'll be making this for my family and many bake sales in the future.