Recipe by Steve P.
A really nice not overly sweet breakfast or snack bread. Excellent with morning tea or coffe break snack.
Top Review by LainieBug
Great pineapple flavor and we really liked the addition of the lemon glaze. I used 6 tablespoons of pineapple juice and the bread was moist and flavorful. We couldn't taste the cheese so I think next time I will try it with a sharp or extra sharp cheddar just to experiment a little.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained,juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
For Lemon glaze
- 1 large lemon, juice of (about1/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together crushed pineapple, melted butter and the egg.
- Add pineapple mixture to flour mixture.
- Mix together by hand.
- Add pineapple juice, as necessary, to moisten.
- Add cheese and nuts.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
- To make glaze: Whisk together the sugar and lemon juice over low heat just until sugar is disolved.
- Poke holes in the still warm bread and slowly pour the glaze over the bread allowing it to seap into the holes.
- Let bread rest at least several hours or overnight to set before cutting.