Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A really nice not overly sweet breakfast or snack bread. Excellent with morning tea or coffe break snack.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained,juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
For Lemon glaze
- 1 large lemon, juice of (about1/4 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together crushed pineapple, melted butter and the egg.
- Add pineapple mixture to flour mixture.
- Mix together by hand.
- Add pineapple juice, as necessary, to moisten.
- Add cheese and nuts.
- Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F.
- To make glaze: Whisk together the sugar and lemon juice over low heat just until sugar is disolved.
- Poke holes in the still warm bread and slowly pour the glaze over the bread allowing it to seap into the holes.
- Let bread rest at least several hours or overnight to set before cutting.
Great pineapple flavor and we really liked the addition of the lemon glaze. I used 6 tablespoons of pineapple juice and the bread was moist and flavorful. We couldn't taste the cheese so I think next time I will try it with a sharp or extra sharp cheddar just to experiment a little.