Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great as a side dish with Baked Ham and Green Bean Casserole! Really!!
- 2 (20 ounce) cans crushed pineapple
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, plus
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with 1 T. butter.
- Drain pineapple.
- Place crushed pineapple evenly along the bottom of prepared casserole dish.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and cheese.
- Sprinkle evenly on top of pineapple.
- Cover with Ritz cracker crumbs.
- Melt butter and pour over the top of cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven.
We have always made this recipe in my family, but we mix the sugar, flour and cheese into the pineapple then put the crackers and butter on top. I think it gives it a more blended flavor. Regardless, this is a wonderful dish for any occasion.
Just made this for our Bible study pot luck Christmas Dinner. Had problems with my oven and was a little skeptical about the cheddar cheese and pineapple combination. Well, everyone loved it, and asked me for the recipe!! I did change it a bit; this is what I did:
1) Added a bit more of the Ritz cracker crumbles (2) Layered only 1 can of the pineapple on the bottom of the casserole (3) Then combined the other can with the cheese, flour and sugar (4) Added about 1/3 of the crackers to the cheese/pineapple mixture (5) Then placed remaining crackers on top of casserole.
I make this casserole too, but I use 1 can pineapple chunk, drained with 1 can pineapple crushed drained. I use a roll of the Ritz crackers & I crush them and mix half with the pineapple mixture. I don't add the flour because I put the Ritz crackers in the mix and on top. It seems to thicken it up, just nice. My DH loves this dish.