Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cupcakes are a reduced-fat carrot cake recipe, and are moist and tropically flavored.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans or 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 ounces light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- Prepare 18- 2 3/4" diameter by 1 1/4" deep muffin cups by lightly greasing with a vegetable oil, or line with paper cup liners.
- CUPCAKES: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
- In another large bowl, combine sugar, oil and vanilla; beat well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in pineapple including juice, carrots, nuts and orange zest.
- Stir in flour mixture, half at a time until just combined (DO NOT OVERBEAT.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon batter equally into 18 prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven about 20 minutes or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingers.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely on wire racks.
- These muffins can be made ahead and stored in a container with a tight fitting lid for up to 2 days.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add and beat in icing sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until it is of spreading consistency.
- Put coconut on a plate.
- Spread each cupcake with about 4 teaspoons of frosting mixture.
- Then gently dip top of muffin into coconut to coat.
- Sprinkle with extra coconut if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a container with a tight fitting lid for up to 4 hours.
- VARIATION: For mini cupcakes, spoon batter into 36 greased 1 3/4- inch diameter by 1- inch deep mini muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
- Apply frosting as noted above.
I used to order a carrot cake similar to this from a local gluten-free bakery that has since closed, so I was happy to find this recipe. I used gluten-free flour and omitted the orange zest and coconut and the cupcakes were perfect! They were moist and fluffy and a huge hit with all the ladies at my annual bunny party. I will definitely be making these again!
Uncle Bill...these are FANTASTIC!! I made these for my grandkids daycare for Easter. The only thing I changed was I substituted Splenda for sugar in both the batter and frosting. And I omited the coconut in the frosting because I dipped them in tinted coconut at the end. I made them into little bunnies using peeps. They were a big hit! Even one of the teachers went wild over them and she never eats food like this. DH and famliy loved them as well! This is a keeper...thank you so much for sharing.
Wonderful....I will make them again soon!!!!!!! Even my husband liked them....And he usually only like chocolate cakes and cupcakes.