Sweet PQ?'s Note:
This cake has special meaning to me. I was so glad I found my mom's handwritten copy tucked away in one of her old cookbooks. This is the cake my mom baked for special occasions. In my mom's own writing "excellent cake-made for M's engagement party". Well, the marriage didn't last, but I sure am glad the cake recipe did! NOTE: I typed out the recipe like my mom wrote it. Prep time is estimated, and cooking time-baking time..
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages vanilla pudding (the kind you cook on the stove)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed pineapple (estimated can size)
- 1/3 cup light rum
Golden Whipped Cream
- 2Preheat oven to 350*. In a large bowl separate eggs. Beat whites until foamy; add salt and cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff.
- 3Slowly beat in 1/2 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until you get a stiff meringue. Set aside.
- 4In another bowl, using the same beaters (no need to rinse), beat the egg yolks well.
- 5Slowly beat in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until thick and yellow.
- 6Add the 3 tablespoons of water, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until very light.
- 7Fold in the flour.
- 8Pour the egg yolk mixture over the beaten egg whites, folding together until no streaks of yolk remain.
- 9Pour into 2 "ungreased" 9" cake pans. Bake @ 350* for 15-18 minutes, until cake springs back when touched lightly in the middle & it's browned on top.
- 10Remove from oven & invert pans, resting the rim on custard cups. Cool completely. Meanwhile, make -.
- 12Mix 1/4 cup water and pudding mix, stirring until smooth. Add the "undrained" pineapple. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and turns clear. Remove from heat, let cool, then add the rum.
- 13GOLDEN WHIPPED CREAM:.
- 14Combine ingredients & beat until stiff.
- 15To ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:.
- 16Split each layer to make 4 layers. Spread each with the golden whipped cream. Put one layer on your cake plate.
- 17Spread 1/4 of the pineapple filling over the cream. Cover with the second layer. Repeat until cake is assembled.
- 18Use the remaining cream to go around the sides of the cake & pipe a "ruffle" around the top of the cake. Decorate as desired.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pineapple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.8
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 241.8 mg
- Sodium 255.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 48.5 g
- Protein 8.3 g