Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
This cake has special meaning to me. I was so glad I found my mom's handwritten copy tucked away in one of her old cookbooks. This is the cake my mom baked for special occasions. In my mom's own writing "excellent cake-made for M's engagement party". Well, the marriage didn't last, but I sure am glad the cake recipe did! NOTE: I typed out the recipe like my mom wrote it. Prep time is estimated, and cooking time-baking time..
- 6 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packagesvanilla pudding (the kind you cook on the stove)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 (14 ounce) cans crushed pineapple (estimated can size)
- 1⁄3 cup light rum
Golden Whipped Cream
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon yellow food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350*. In a large bowl separate eggs. Beat whites until foamy; add salt and cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff.
- Slowly beat in 1/2 cup sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until you get a stiff meringue. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using the same beaters (no need to rinse), beat the egg yolks well.
- Slowly beat in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar until thick and yellow.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of water, lemon juice and vanilla. Beat until very light.
- Fold in the flour.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the beaten egg whites, folding together until no streaks of yolk remain.
- Pour into 2 "ungreased" 9" cake pans. Bake @ 350* for 15-18 minutes, until cake springs back when touched lightly in the middle & it's browned on top.
- Remove from oven & invert pans, resting the rim on custard cups. Cool completely. Meanwhile, make -.
- Mix 1/4 cup water and pudding mix, stirring until smooth. Add the "undrained" pineapple. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and turns clear. Remove from heat, let cool, then add the rum.
- GOLDEN WHIPPED CREAM:.
- Combine ingredients & beat until stiff.
- To ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:.
- Split each layer to make 4 layers. Spread each with the golden whipped cream. Put one layer on your cake plate.
- Spread 1/4 of the pineapple filling over the cream. Cover with the second layer. Repeat until cake is assembled.
- Use the remaining cream to go around the sides of the cake & pipe a "ruffle" around the top of the cake. Decorate as desired.