Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I came up with this to satisfy my daughter Nomi's pineapple sweet tooth, and also to get rid of some stale bread.
- 7 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed,cut into cubes
- 1 (20 ounce) cancrushed unsweetened pineapple, , with juice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease a 2-quart soufflé dish.
- In a large bowl, combine bread and pineapple and place in soufflé dish.
- Using the same bowl, mix together brown sugar, eggs, lemon juice, nutmeg and butter, and pour over bread mixture.
- Bake until puffed and golden, about 40 minutes.
What a great recipe! This is SO easy and quick to throw together. I made exactly as written except for using 8 slices fresh Wonder Stoneground Whole Wheat Bread, and I added 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest into the lemon juice. Beautiful texture, great flavor. I was able to take it out of the souffle pan in one piece onto a plate, and then flip it onto a second plate right-side up, so this would lend itself to a very fancy presentation - but we were eager to try it and just cut big pieces of it, served with slices of fresh pineapple and whipped cream. This is definitely a keeper. Thanks for a great dessert, Mirj!
This was great and very pretty too! Thanks for sharing.
We are really enjoying this!! When I went to make it...I realized there wasn't any milk in it...hoping it wasn't a typo lol It came out perfect! I skipped the ice cream...but it was perfect with a little whipping cream!!! Thanks Mirj!!